Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thing #6 Discovering Web Tools 2.0

The web tool I have chosen is Etsy. I am a devoted Etsy fan. In fact, on occasion, I sell scarves on Etsy.  My shop at the moment is empty because I am here in school. It has been really hard to find the time to make things. But I really enjoyed it when I was doing it. I often buy gifts for myself or others on Etsy. I love that I do not have to live in New York City, Paris, or London to get amazing, unique handmade or vintage things - I can be in my living room in little ole Clarksville, TN. I am excited every time I open the home page or daily email. I have a long, long list of favorites I keep tabs on. I am inspired by all the amazing crafters and artists out there making beautiful works.

The only down side to etsy is that it is hard to go through. It is so full - I feel like there are tons of things I never get the chance to see. When you search etsy it will show first who has most recently posted. It costs money to post - not much like 5 or 6 cents, but that can add up after a while when you are trying to sell things as inexpensively as you can and cover all your costs. I always wonder what is on page 547 of the searched pages - is that where the perfect, unique, amazing thing I am looking for actually is? And not on page 3. Etsy is huge - and I know they are working hard to make the search part of it work better. I know this is a huge job. It is still a wonderful site - the first thing I ever bought off Etsy was amazing ring from Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment