Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Thing #8 Photo Mash-Ups

I read Educating Esmé over winter break. It was the journal of a first year teacher in an inner city school in Chicago. Kind of a tough read at times - she had some rough times. But she was an amazing teacher. One of the things she did was a personality board. She did this to get to know her students and so they could get to know each other. I think the Mosaic feature would really fun to do with your students. Hanging their pictures around the classroom - I believe - builds a sense of pride. Gives students the sense that this is their space. Which, hopefully, in turn makes them feel safe, respected, like they belong, and like they want to respect this place.






This mosaic came from my facebook profile pictures which is why there is a few weird ones in there and duplicates. I wish I could have chosen the photos - but I didn't figure that out. I also wish I could have changed the centering on at least one. 


When I looked at all the mash ups I could think of the fun things you could do to draw students in. Surprise them with words written in crazy letters (as my daughter would say)

letter S letter P E2 c T pink tag letter R A

letter S Block Letter P letter E c letter S

This was fun - oh so easy. I cannot wait to spell my kids names for them! They will love it. The photo mash ups are so cool - I am a little overwhelmed by them. This has opened a new door for me. I do so much with photos - just plan old boring photos. The idea that I can play around with them so easily is exciting. Encouraging students to get creative and take projects to a new level is so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment