Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thing #5 School 2.0

School 2.0 means more exciting ways to learn with students. When reading Web 2.0 A Guide for Educators I was really excited about the online video tools. That seemed like a really fun thing to add to a reading or social studies assignment. Students love to make films - but also to edit them! That would be really fun. I imagined my son would be over the moon to do that. So I clicked on the links to the free online software in the article. What I found was that jumpcut, eyespot, and spymac are all gone. Toufee is still around and you can have a 14 day free trial with it. This lead me to think what has replaced it because this stuff didn't just go away. It has probably grown and changed since the article. A quick google search brought up many, many more which at the moment I didn't have time to go through, but I will. My son will love this. A lot of these might have a hard time competing with the programs that come with computers now, too. My kids love to play with photo booth on our Mac -



They made this video one snow day last year. It was a lot of fun. And I see huge potential for this sort of thing in the classroom.

Technology is a huge part of students life. They come by it naturally. It must be part of the classroom or what is going on in there will seem obsolete. I am excited about the things School 2.0 can offer. I see ways to reach students that where not there before. I see ways to engage students who are bored and uninterested. It is a great way to foster creativity. School 2.0 means a future of children ready to develop the next great thing. I imagine if I was in school with all this technology I would come out ready to jump in head first. I see the students grabbing the torch and running with it.





Aired on PBS on Feb. 13th.


No comments:

Post a Comment