Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thing 18

I have had a FaceBook account for several years. In the beginning it was a lot of fun, but it has since deflated. It is really important that teachers understand these sites since their students are on them all the time. And even though teachers are not involved in their students social lives, these things are often the most influential things in a student's life. Teachers need to understand how things like FaceBook affect their students.

I didn't set up a Twitter account because the one thing I am sure about is that no one is interested in things I am doing all the time. And I feel like setting one goes completely against the grain for me. With FaceBook it feels more like interaction - even conversation at times. Twitter doesn't give me that feel. It is feels very alone - even lonely.

I know from teachers who teach older students that they routinely have to "ignore" student's request for friendship. Which I believe is the right thing to do. But I also know many parents of elementary school teachers who have "friended" their child's teacher. I would feel weird about that - like I was invading their privacy. The thing I like least is that these sites blur the lines of "friendship." I love and care about my family, but I don't always want them in butting into a conversations between me and my friends. I miss that I used to be able to hold that line pretty well. Now it is much harder. Of course I can block them, but it is such a hassle to do all this. At the same time it is easier to share news and pictures with them - and feel like people are part of my life I rarely see. I guess, though, in the end I would prefer to keep things separate - with some of my family members. But there is no going back once the door is opened. I can't "unfriend" people. That feels mean and cold - and I don't want to do that. I think for teachers it would be a really tough spot to be in to be friended by a parent. I would really, really not want to accept it. When I become a teacher  I have promised myself to hold that line or delete my account.

No comments:

Post a Comment