Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thing 13

I checked out Google Docs which I have been meaning to do for some time. It does look just like word - it may be missing some of the super special features, but reality is that most people never use those. Most of us need a few basic features from Microsoft and all the other stuff just wilts and is never used. This Google docs thing is awesome. Perfect for schools. Especially with Microsoft being so incredibly expensive. If you can get students to computers outside of classrooms you cannot always get them to expensive word processing, presentation, or spreadsheet software. This is an awesome way around it. No license problems, you can save right there in google - at least for a certain amount of time and space. This is an awesome educational tool. I admit I prefer google docs because it is familiar. I got lost and was - honestly - impatient with Zoho. I plan to give it another try.

I remember when these things were first coming out. Everyone turned their noses up at them - they can't be as good as the "real" microsoft thing. They were then and they are now. I was at one of the non-profits I have worked for in the past and no one wanted to use this stuff - even though all they were doing was typing a document. Because it was impossible to buy them all licenses they hand wrote everything. It was silly. Most of us don't need all the amazing things all these programs can do - it is just a waste. I am going to point my parents to this - I don't know why I didn't think of it before. It is easy to use, no loading anything, buying anything - or calling 800 times to ask questions about it - just kidding.

I made a form in google docs in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday day.
The Foot Book Form

The answers to the form are stored in a spread sheet in google docs in my account. And that is just cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment